Saturday, June 28, 2014

Presto Change O, Well Kinda


A long long time ago, (a year to be exact) I started revamping the fireplace pictured below in my sewing room.....


 I painted it with Annie Sloan Old White Chalk Paint and added some appliques.



Then I procrastinated for almost a year. I just didn't want to face scraping all that wallpaper off, ugh.
Then this week I had a spurt of energy and added bead board to the top and bottom since it's no longer a working fireplace. Yay, no scraping! If you have an older home with lots of wallpaper just add bead board and don't even bother with scraping it off. The time and frustration you will save is worth the price of the bead board which is only around $19 for a 4'x8' sheet. On top of that it really adds to the farmhouse or cottage feel if that's what you're going for.




Also if your ceilings are wallpapered, that is the absolute worse!!! Just buy a few sheets of  $14 plywood and have Home Depot cut it lengthwise in 6" pieces. Get a nail gun and nail those suckers up to the ceiling and no one will be the wiser that there are layers of ugly wallpaper underneath. It gives the look of planked ceilings and you'll love them, I promise! Oh one more thing, use a spacer in between planks, like a nickel.
The hole is for a light fixture.
Here's my kitchen ceiling.

Here's my hallway....


So back to the mantel.....
I painted the mantel part with Annie Sloan in Coco to break up all the white.


I added a few simple accessories and called it done!




I made the wreath out of coffee filters, you may have seen it in previous pics. The rusted wire basket and sweet lamb pic are from a local antique store. I saw one here on Amazon that I would love to add to the mix.


Still working on my master bedroom but I just needed a break with the sewing, hopefully it will be finished soon!

Sharing at...
Tweak It Tuesday
Wow Us Wednesday



15 comments:

Junkchiccottage said...

Teresa,
Hello my friend. Love love the mantel painted and the bead board is genius. Love the whole vignette. Very nice. Hope all is well with you and hope Toby is doing great too. Have a wonderful week end.
Kris

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Teresa-
I think your sewing room looks great. I have a sewing room and it is in such a needful condition. I also have a fireplace mantel in there too. I added it myself to go around the wall heater... and dress it up a bit.
I like the simple way you have it dressed up and the plank ceiling looks so cottage-y!
Pat

Vicky Hunt said...

Oh my Theresa! It is so pretty...:) I love what you did with the fireplace and how you styled it. The ceiling is genius! We are about to plank a wall in our living room and I can't wait to get started! Have a beautiful weekend.

Blessings, Vicky

JoAnne Weisser said...

Your mantel is so pretty, Teresa and now you have really inspired me. A long time ago, we purchased a simple mantel from Home Depot but have never painted it or put it up. The bricks on our fireplace have already been painted white and I even have the Coco paint to use on the mantel so now I better get busy. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Looks great!!! What a great idea and it looks authentic.

yankeesinthewoods said...

Looks fantastic! I love those coffee filter wreaths. I have always wanted to make one, but haven't ever gotten around to doing so. I love the planked ceiling, I've been wanting to plank our bathroom walls.

laura Madalene said...

I think that is a great idea to put the board inside. I might try it by adding one to the outside and one to the inside and screwing them together. Your room turned out so pretty and this rolling basket just tops it off so well.
interior-design

Kathy Moreland said...

I love your idea for the bead board and ply board. Great look!!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Just found your blog from your guest post today at Junk Chic Cottage. I've been reading through your renovations. A lot of hard work but such great results. Following.
Joy

BlueClearSky Elizabeth said...

Hi Teresa. I enjoyed your feature today at Junk Chic Cottage. You obviously have a love of family and home. The mantel looks lovely and I really like the ceiling you added to your kitchen and hallway. I think adding architectural details like that is one of the best ways to make a home look great. I am now following and hope you get a chance to visit me. I'm the other featured Saturday Spotlight blogger today at Susan's Must Love Junk.

Jasper's Cottage said...

I'm a new reader, just arrived via Junk Chic Cottage and I just had to say "hi" and add my comment that your fix with the bead board was brilliant! I'm going to remember that whenever I have something big and ugly to cover up. I love the planked ceilings too, I have to try this although I'm not too sure where to put the nickels. :-) I can't wait to read more, I want to magazine my home too!
xo jonni xo

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Just came over from Kris' feature of you, Teresa! : ) Love how this looks. It looks like it was an easy "out", too, so you didn't have to remove all that wallpaper. I've had to remove wallpaper from our old house and know that it isn't a fun project!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love your mantel...it's so pretty!! I thought I was already following your blog, but I realized it wasn't on my list anymore...so I signed up again to follow you.
~Cindy

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Hi, just came over from Kris's Spotlight. Great post and I am so happy to meet you. I am a new follower.
Have a wonderful week.
Mary

JES said...

So pretty, thanks for sharing! I love the bead-board look :) That is what we have on our ceilings.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...