Monday, July 11, 2011

Yummy Fig Preserves



We have two fig trees on our property and they yielded a bumper crop this year. This is our first year here so I decided to give fig preserves a try. I gathered a basket full of the purple plump cuties and gave them a nice little bath.
I added sugar, water, lemons, a pinch of salt, some sure gel and of course the figs in a large heavy pan and cooked on low for 3 hours. I'm telling you it smelled sooooo good in my kitchen!
I sterilized the jars and lids to ready them to be filled with delicious fig preserves. Then a 10 minute water bath and waited to hear the pop, pop, pop of the lids sealing. There you have it, the most mouth watering fig preserves ever!
These will be good for 1 year. Next I'm going to dry some so I can use them to top cereals and just to eat as a snack. Did you know that 1 cup of figs contain twice the amount of calcium as whole milk? Thats good news for women, as we need to keep those bones strong! If you would like the complete recipe here is the link Yummy Fig Preserves

2 comments:

  1. Oh my...that looks absolutely delicious!! So envious that you can grow yummy fruit like that!
    Thanks for visiting BPPackages today...I'm looking forward to following your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teresa~

    That is so cool that you have your own fig trees~ wow! and I didn't even know you could can them! The little jars look so lovely and sweet, tagged and ready for gifting! :)

    I hope you have had a wonderful week, and that your weekend is a fun one! :)

    Blessings,
    Jenni
    belle & sparrow
    {beautiful nest}

    ReplyDelete

And you lovely people said.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...