Thursday, March 22, 2012

Chalk Paint Nightstand


I have tried and I do love Annie Sloan Chalk Paint but I don't love the price.  So I have resorted to making my own paint with 2/3 cup of regular paint plus 1/3 cup plaster of paris, a few drops of water and stir, stir, stir. No sanding, no priming, just paint it on let it dry, paint another coat if you want more coverage. Then wax with paste wax or wipe on poly and distress if desired.  I must say it's works wonderfully and is soooo much easier on the pocketbook!
I found this cute but way too gold nightstand at my favorite flea market for $10. It was just the right height and size for my small guest room and a perfect candidate for a redo.
I went to Home Depot and had them mix up some Robin's Egg Blue from a  recipe I got from Notes from a Cottage Industry in an eggshell finish then used it to make my homemade chalk paint. Here is the result.
I also made chalk paint with some white that I had and painted the legs with that.
I distressed the edges and legs (maybe a bit too much on the legs, I may redo those.) After distressing I added a glaze to darken the paint a bit and finished it off with paste wax then added a cute little knob from Hobby Lobby. Overall I think it looks pretty good and I'm very pleased with my homemade chalk paint.
Sharing at:
Inspiration Friday
Feathered Nest Friday
Show Me What Ya Got
Show and Tell Friday
Open House Party
Vintage Inspiration
Home Sweet Home
Potpourri Friday
Share Your Cup
Sunday Showcase

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I love it! The legs...the whole piece is perfect! Nice job!

    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, am going to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is adorable--I love how you used the 2 colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the table. Smart gal. I want to paint with chalk paint also, but it costs too much for me. I am going to try your way. Thanks for sharing. Karie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a difference paint and a little love made in that piece! The table looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable! I love the color. I just bought some plaster of Paris to try making my own chalkpaint. I didn't know the exact recipe, thanks so much for sharing. Also, thanks for linking up to my party. I am so happy to find you and will now be a new follower. Glad to see that linky is finally back up and working.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following you by linky now. Already following by google. I hope you will link up with Share Your Cup Thursday often!
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your exact recipe! I will give this a try. I spend a lot of money on ASCP....I am getting ready to paint my kitchen cabinets Paris Gray...cha-ching...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm hopping back to let you know that I am featuring your nightstand redo on Share Your Cup Thursday today. I love it and so appreciated the recipe for the paint! I think your name is Kim, is that correct? I know you and your mom have a shop together. Hopefully I don't have her name instead of yours. I like to put it on the feature.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is adorable! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's adorable!

    As for that gold paint, what were they thinking?

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am new to your blog so I hate to ask a dumb question, but here goes. I have never used chalk paint before. So I was just wondering what the main difference is. The texture, ability to distress, the feel? What projects does it work best for? That little table is super cute and it looks like it would be fun to try. Thanks for sharing. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lynn, I sent you an email explaining the virtues of chalk paint. Mainly the great thing about it is you don't have to sand or primer the piece, just start painting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

And you lovely people said.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...