Thursday, October 20, 2011

My Chickens made me Breakfast

I unabashedly admit that I LOVE my chickens! Not only are they entertaining and eat tons of bugs but they are master chefs! They make me breakfast everyday! Yes, they are part of the family so let me introduce them, there's Maggie the Rhode Island Red, Goldie and Tillie the Buff Orpingtons, Betsy the Ameraucana who lays blue and green eggs :) and Mabel the Barred Plymouth rock who actually turned out to be Marvin hmmm, no eggs from him. Here they are enjoying an autumn day in the chicken pen.
Yes one day I heard what I thought was a pathetic attempt at crowing, I said to myself.....self was that a rooster crow you just heard? Nah, the feed store guaranteed they were all hens but guess what? they lied! Mabel alias Marvin now proudly struts among his harem crowing his head off. Oh well, I'm already attached so he stays.
Maybe the ladies are enjoying the attention from Marvin because they've been laying like crazy!

I love going out early in the morning to feed the chickens and gather the eggs. The lovely little flock get so excited when they see me coming it makes me feel so special and finding the eggs in the nest is like an Easter egg hunt every morning. It's such a simple thing but I love it! 

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure they are not screaming "run, get the kids, here she comes again to steal our babies!" lol!

    ReplyDelete

And you lovely people said.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...