Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Mantel Redo

I have been looking at this brown boring fireplace for over a year now and thinking about decorating it for Christmas just didn't excite me in the least.

So out comes the paint, ladder and some wood, I'm gonna take this brown beast to white and sparkling!




Hmmm, she looks more presentable but I think we can do better. Plus the two different colors on the wall don't help either.


Here's a close up of the little basket applique I added.


I felt like the mantel was floating in mid air so I decided to add some columns to ground everything. So with the Mister's help we made two columns, added some  appliques and trim.


One painted, one to go.


I also wanted to add some additional wood below the curve, I like the curve but the mantel still looked a bit too skimpy. I made a pattern from paper then transfered it onto the wood. At this point just let me say, if you can get your hubby to jigsaw it for you, DON'T DO IT YOURSELF!! I made a terrible mess out of it, so take 2,  off to Lowe's for another piece of wood and HE did it this time around.



I also added a piece of molding at the top to beef it up a bit. 


 So one more look at the before.

And the after!

I think it looks so much better and it only cost me  $30 for the wood and I already had the appliques and the paint.  I think my Christmas decorations pop now don't you? Here's a closeup
The JOY letters were easy peasey, just pick up some curly letters from Hobby Lobby, spray paint them white, spray with Elmers glue spray and sprinkle with white sugar glitter. But you knew that didn't you? Just humor me, it's all I got today.


UPDATE: Here's how my fireplace looks today..................No more BLACK HOLE!




Linking to

and
 Power of Paint Party
Feathered Nest Friday Holiday Vignettes
Feature Yourself Friday
Beneath My Heart 'Best Diy Projects of December"
bestofdec

14 comments:

  1. I think it looks fantastic! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great transformation! Completely changes the look and it's so bright and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turned out GREAT! (how can I make a bigger font? I mean :written in huge font: G.R.E.A.T)

    Wow, your fireplace is now a gift to YOURSELVES for the holiday- something you'll always remember.

    Very nice job!

    Visiting via: Fingerprints On The Fridge today :D
    Smiles, Suzanne in Snowy NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Teresa! Your mantel looks gorgeous! You are the smartest one to do this with a little help from your hubby! :) I love the pretty look the appliques make!! You've decked your new pretty mantel wonderfully.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a difference. You did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks brilliant, so much better. And I love your lights and greenery garland.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a transformation! just awesome! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. What a transformation. It looks so good now. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your style of decorating!!! I live in a mobile home also! I have been painting, hammering,sewing to make my home as cottage styling as I can! Good luck with all of your decorating!
    The mantle looks great!!!!

    Blessings,
    Debbie S.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks wonderful! thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Transformation! Your fireplace looks wonderful. Thanks for linking up to my party! :)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh My Goodness!!!!!

    We purchased a modular and I'm still wondering what to do with it. You have so many wonderful ideas.

    A lot I could do myself. Can you tell me what you did about the outlets? Ours are attached in a whole unit with screws. Would they have to be re-wired? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a suggestion to the fireplace. I always see people hiding the fireplace hole or sticking candles in it because they don't really know what to do with it especially during the summer months. I see you put a cover over yours. Why not put electric logs in it? I had a fake fireplace where I had these logs in it and no one thought they weren't real. They don't kick out heat and you can use the fireplace year round. I have a link to Home Depot that sells the logs I am talking about. There are other types of electric logs, but this type I have used for years and these are also great in mobile home fireplaces where people are afraid to light their fireplace because they are afraid of burning down their home. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pleasant-Hearth-20-in-Electric-Crackling-Fireplace-Logs-L-20W/100588006

    ReplyDelete

And you lovely people said.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...