Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Rustic Mantel Reclaimed Wood

I like my mantel but I don't LOVE it, I want to LOVE it so I set out to make it happen.


It was just a little bit too wimpy and not deep enough  plus I wanted to introduce more of a rustic farmhouse feel, yep you've heard that a lot from me lately, I can't help it, I just love the cottage rustic farmhouse look!
So when I found this piece of old reclaimed 2 inch thick board I knew I had found the solution.


  You can see the distressing on the edge, PERFECT!

Only one problem, it wasn't deep enough I wanted a ten inch deep board.
Not to worry. My hubby cut me a couple pieces of two by two and I stained it to match the reclaimed board.
  I didn't have one piece long enough so we had to use two pieces, it won't really been seen where it butts together.
 I just used some burnt umber and the match was pretty good,  You can see the old reclaimed board on the right. The new boards are going in behind the main board so any discrepancy won't be noticed.

I scrubbed the old board but other than that I left it in it's found condition, no sanding no stain or poly finish, nothing but pure reclaimed old distressed loveliness.
 Here's the new look.....


Those two curvy posts on both ends were reclaimed  from an old farmhouse .Love em.

Just for fun this is how the mantel area looked when we first bought the house.
It's undergone quite a transformation.

So once again, the BEFORE

And the AFTER


So what do ya think? My hubby just says" well if that's what you want", can't get any opinions from him lol.
Blessings,
Terea 

21 comments:

  1. Oh Teresa...I love it! You have such beautiful style....reminds me of my aunt. You would love her house...she has an old gate hanging on the wall that my grandpa built years ago and she just crafted a gorgeous headboard from a table that my great grandpa built 100 years ago! I'll feature her house on my blog one of these days! Simply gorgeous! Husband's just don't get it do they...lol!

    Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks charming! You've captured the farmhouse look so well with all your recent changes. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! It says rustic farmhouse for sure!!
    We just put in a new kitchen and there is a half wall in there where we put an old rough piece of wood to get that rustic farmhouse feel.
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really looks good! I like the way it breaks up all the white and the new texture it brings. Very pretty. I'd love for you to link up at Transformed Tuesday. I'm a new follower. Hugs, Peggy http://pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com/2013/01/transformed-tuesday-23-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice and it definitely has a farmhouse feel to it.
    Nice of your hubby to accommodation.:) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is perfect!! So lovely and perfectly farmhouse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out great. Love it! I also like that that bench.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how that turned out! Adding that layer of rustic wood to the top is such a nice addition. I don't think I would've thought to do that. It definitely gives it that rustic farmhouse look you were going for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! What a transformation!!! I love the big old barnwood piece - it looks perfect. I love the sheep on your mantel too!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have completely changed the original look! And that wood mantel looks fabulous now with the other white accessories. Still in love with those sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a wimpy, narrow mantel, too. Thanks for the inspiration in changing it!
    Heather from Friendship, Life and Style

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Teresa ...I really like the new look on your mantel. The rustic wood gave it that real farmhouse charm that you were looking for. I also love the way you've styled it...it's just gorgeous!
    Blessings!
    Geneva

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your mantel is gorgeous!! Your newest follower from Transforming Tuesdays. I love your beautiful blog. :)

    Kathy @ lifeonlakeshoredrive.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The mantel looks lovely. A really amazing transformation. I love the contrast between the white and green colours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your mantel looked great before the makeover...now it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! It really gave your mantle a classic, natural look. I love it.

    Feel free to link up with me for {MoonSHINE Monday}!

    Amber @ The Honeysuckle Bus Stop
    www.thehoneysucklebusstop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the old wood-you did a fantastic fireplace makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job! It really turned out wonderful. I love using old wood and making it work! thank you for sharing with us at TTF.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's gorgeous! I love rustic, cottage, farmhouse too! Great choice! :)

    ReplyDelete

And you lovely people said.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...