Friday, April 15, 2016

Time Began in a Garden

I've been spending some time in our backyard planning a rose garden. I used to have a beautiful rose garden when I lived in California and for some reason when we moved to Alabama I never planted any roses. I've really missed the beauty and the fragrance is heavenly. So I've decided to start working on a rose garden in our backyard in Texas. I can't plant any out front due to roses being high on the menu for the deer.  The back is fenced so no problem hopefully. 

My daughter Kim actually got me started already with a gift of a rose called Olivia Rose Austin, an English Rose. 
It just started to bloom and it's absolutely beautiful! Take a look .........


I has tons of petals and a light beautiful fragrance.


I'm going to plant a few roses right in the ground but due to the fact that we have such sandy soil I decided to do a raised bed for most of them. That way I can put perfect soil in the bed and as an added bonus I won't have to get down on the ground so my back will thank me.

I love pink roses so I'm going to plant mostly pink but I also like the creams and and yellows so there will be a mixture. There is a very limited space that receives full sun out back due to having the forest right behind us and lots of big trees on the rights side of the yard, but I think it'll work.

I used these blocks from Home Depot to build the raised bed. It was super easy.

 You just slide the 2x6 by (however long you want) boards into the blocks and you have an instant raised bed. You can stack the blocks as high as you want then pound a rebar pole down the hole in the block (make sure to go at least six or more inches into the ground level soil) to stabilize and anchor the bed.  You can actually make lots of different configurations and easily add on to it. I used pressure treated wood for the sides. In my veggie garden I'll use cedar. The hardest part was adding the bags of planting mix. I made the bed on top of a grassy area but I didn't have to remove the grass. I just laid down cardboard and over time it will kill any grass underneath and then decompose.

Here's the completed raised bed.



I also got a rose called Eden Rose, here's a picture of it from a catalog since mine hasn't blossomed yet.





I'm going to plant it so it will grow up this trellis by our back stairs. Toby often sits at the top of these stairs  to keep an eye on our dog Semper when he goes out to do his business :). So I thought it would be nice if the fragrance from the rose would drift up to his direction. Haha, I just read what I wrote and I guess this rose will do double duty as a doggie deodorizer!

Here is the stair/trellis area where the Eden Rose will be planted.


See that planter up there? I have a tomato plant and pepper plant in it. It will make it easy to pick and take right to the kitchen.


In this area I planted the gorgeous Olivia Rose Austin my daughter gave me.
It's in the half round blocked area. The rose in the bed is a Double Pink Knockout Rose.


Here is a closeup of the GORGEOUS Olivia Rose.




Here's a view of part of the yard from the top of the stairs. The Sam Houston National forest is right there behind the fence and it's full of deer. I LOVE the deer but I don't love what they do to roses, as in EATING them lol. So I really hope my fence will keep them out. If not I may have to build a smaller enclosure around the roses and the vegetable bed I'm planning on doing also.



I'm on a mission to make our home a peaceful retreat for my sweet Toby and me. We NEED it in our lives. This rose garden will go a long way towards achieving that goal. I think about God placing us in a garden originally and how we have gotten away from that. We are all surrounded with concrete, cars, buildings, cell phones ringing and all manner of noise and ugly. The serenity God wanted us to have has been lost by our own doing. So if there is anything I can do to get back to that garden I'm going to do it. I think it's so important to have a peaceful and beautiful space to relax and even more so when there is uncertainty in your life. So say a little prayer that I'll be able to accomplish that.


SHARING AT 
Tweak It Tuesday



17 comments:

  1. Loved your sharing your plantings! I'm crossing my fingers for you and hope the deer leave them alone! So beautiful!Thanks for sharing this!♡☆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Terri. I hope those cute little deer stay on their side of the fence, after all they have the WHOLE FOREST to eat from for goodness sakes.

      Delete
  2. Loved your sharing your plantings! I'm crossing my fingers for you and hope the deer leave them alone! So beautiful!Thanks for sharing this!♡☆

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful roses! I too love roses and have been working for 3 years on my rose garden. Their fragance is amazing, so intoxicating. I'll certainly be praying for a beautiful, peaceful garden for You and Toby to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of us rose lovers out there. They are just an amazing plant. Thank you for your prayers.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Teresa! I didn't realize it was that sandy up there. I'm west of San Antonio where we have clay, which can have its own issues. As a gardener, rose-lover, Texan, and child of God, I'd love to send you a rose that I started from cuttings. It is a Prairie Harvest. It's yellow, so it will fit into your color scheme. The link below will give you pictures and information about it.

    http://www.heirloomroses.com/roses/griffith-buck-roses/prairie-harvest.html

    Please email me at soriano471@sbcglobal.net

    patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patty! Oh my goodness I would be honored to have one of your roses that you started from cuttings. I have not yet attempted to do that. I clicked on the link and the Prairie Harvest rose is gorgeous. I would just absolutely love to have it in my rose garden. Thank you for your sweet gift. I am sending you an email. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Hello Bunny, I love roses so much as well. They are just amazing with their beauty and fragrance. I am always reminded of my grandmother when I smell a rose as she always grew some in her garden. Thank you for your good thought and prayers. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I am also on a mission to add more roses to my new home. I put in a few last year and have quite a few more on order that will arrive in mid May. Hopefully I will have figured out where they are all going by then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many roses and so little time and space. My space is really limited due to tall shady trees. It's really a joy to see them bloom.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Teresa, I love roses too. I have a small red climbing rose I want to plant on an arbor and then a mutabilis rose that changes color as the blossoms mature. I had more but lost them from drought and critters. I'm hoping to have more once we move. Have you heard of the Antique Rose Emporium? It's near Brenham, TX. It's a really cool place where they sell antique roses. I hope you can keep the deer out of yours. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Teresa, Your Roses are so stunning! Like the idea of the raised bed, just went and bought the wood for my gardens but never thought about the corner pieces, what a great idea. I'll have to go back and get some. So how big about is your garden? I was wondering how much soil to fill it up? This is my first time with the wooden box gardens....way too many bugs here for a ground garden. Have fun ! Lisa@ Sweet Tea N' Salty Air

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Teresa!
    I love my roses too! They are a lot of work, but are well worth it!
    I agree with you about our gardens, vs. the clamor of the world....
    I love your sense of beauty and space. You amaze me with the gifts God has given you....I have gleaned from those gifts...thank you!
    Think of you and Toby often, so glad you found your peaceful place..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Enid, thank you so much for your sweet comments! Roses are like life, there are lots of work and thorns but above it all there is the beauty!

      Delete
  10. Hello Teresa.
    I'm new to seeing your blog, I've just popped over from Jaquelines blog -Cabin and Cottage.
    I liked the way you have created the raised flower beds for your new roses, you have chosen such a lovely selection, I hope you are successful keeping the deer away from them. I hope you'll show pics of all the pretty flowers. We have just created a rose garden here in rural south west France and I'm patiently waiting for them to bloom. We had an early warm Spring then it turned cold and this week I feel like Summer has arrived we have the windows and doors wide open , so hopefully the buds will begin to burst open. Enjoy your garden project I'll look forward to seeing the rose bed later in the summer.

    ReplyDelete

And you lovely people said.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...