Sunday, August 10, 2014

Wood Planked Coffee Table DIY


You've seen this coffee table before....

This is what it looked like originally....I rescued it from the dusty attic.


I painted the bottom with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Coco and added an applique a while back.....




But it still wasn't what I envisioned, so.... I added some 1x3 wood planks.

Because the top was super ugly and ruined.....I had strategically hidden the ugly truth with polish and accessories but I was finally DONE with it!


This table had been around for the last 60 years and had never seen the likes of a coaster for drink cups. Ahem, somebody was bad. It WASN'T ME! I'm a freak about coasters, just ask my family, and the above pic says WHY I am.
The 'fix' was super easy and fast, I cut the wood to fit inside the grooved area, distressed the planks with a hammer, used a nail to make worm holes and slightly rounded the sharp edges. Next I glued them down with wood glue leaving a slight gap in between them. Next I painted around the outer edge with old white chalk paint then stained the planks and went over the chalk paint with the same stain, dark walnut minwax stain plus sealer. I wiped off the stain around the outer edge and it made a distressed look.  I'll give it a coat of AS soft wax later today.


So here it is all gussied up and feelin' good!

It made a huge difference don't you think? I love the rustic feel it has now.


She's so happy and pretty now, I knew there was a beauty under all that ugly. So what'cha think?

Sharing at
Amaze Me Monday
Sundays At Home
Inspire Me Monday
Show Me What Ya Got
Tweak It Tuesday
The Scoop
Inspire Me Tuesday
Wow Us Wednesday



16 comments:

  1. Yep, I think the beauty was in there just waiting for you to bring her out!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new look to your coffee table, Teresa! It has been given new life with this makeover. I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks awesome! Love your vision...:) Have a great week.

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa,
    I just love this. I think this is now my favorite DIY you have done. It looks so great. You had great vision and a great re love on this one.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! That looks amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it is just so pretty! Thanks for linking up to Inspire Me Monday! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only clever, but just beautiful...love this! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it!
    Nice save... and it's one of a kind too!
    I would imagine there is no shortage of conversation starters around this table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the wood planks on this !
    You did a beautiful job :)
    I'm in the process of building a plank wall
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the top and the round tray. Did you make the tray also?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your plank tabletop... what a great idea! I'm featuring your table tomorrow in my Friday Features... thanks for linking up to Inspire Me Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is amazing! I love it. You have added great texture to this old piece and made it so unique. Nice job!

    Not sure if you remember me, but ~~~I'm Carolyn from the old blog Simple Southern Cottage. I can no longer access my old blogs and Blogger will not help me whatsoever. And it's all because of issues between Google/Blogger and Yahoo. I finally just gave up and started a new blog. I am in the process of moving old posts to my new one. I hope you will visit me . myfarmhouseblue.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the texture of the new coffee table! I like the side table too. Love all your changes because it inspires me to make some of my own. it's fun changing things up.
    Table Décor

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so beautiful! I'd love to have this coffee table in my home! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete

And you lovely people said.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...