Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Way Too Hot

Texas summers melt human beings! And it's going to get even hotter next month, ugh. So that's why I get up early in the morning to water my plants and do any yard work that needs to be done.  Anytime past 9 am the sun and humidity threatens to do you in. I barely made it inside today and when I did I went straight to the sink to splash cold water on my face and neck, ugh. I'm used to gardening in So. Calif where I lived for 47 years before moving to Alabama and ultimately Texas. In So Cal it was hot but it was a dry heat, believe me it makes a huge difference in comfort levels. I used to garden all day long and it never bothered me a bit, but in Texas you really have to get out as early as possible or you could have a big problem on your hands, namely heat stroke!
Some plants thrive in the hot sun of Texas, like my Crape Myrtle trees.


These two trees were the only thing growing on this property when we moved in, along with some native oak and pine trees that were left to grow when the land was cleared for the house several decades ago. Actually there were four crape myrtles in total but I had two of them removed as they were planted way too close together. The two left are named Natchez, the white one and Tuscarora the pink one.



Other plants need shade from the hot sun especially in the afternoon when it's the hottest, like my Hydrangeas.


That is a Dear Delores Hydrangea and the tag said  shade to part shade so that was an easy one. It's growing in a pot and I placed it where it gets filtered shade part of the day and shade the remainder.

I also have two Incrediball Hydrangeas and the tag said SUN, but obviously it didn't mean full sun for hot east Texas.  In fact it should have said 'not anywhere near full sun if planting in east Texas'. I planted it where it gets about 3 hours in the morning and 2 hours late afternoon, The late afternoon part is where I went wrong.  I must have forgotten where I lived, like a senior moment. It has not done well at all even with ample watering.I think something is wrong with them in addition to getting too much sun, they have stopped growing and the leaves look drab. I finally bought an umbrella to shade it in the hot afternoon hours so I hope it perks up soon. I wish I would have put it in a pot at first to see how it did instead of right in to the ground. In the fall I'll relocate it to a shadier area. I never had hydrangeas in Calif zone 9, too hot there, so I had no experience growing them.


My Impatiens are planted where they get morning sun even though they are recommended to be in shade. I do have to make sure they are watered daily or they'll wilt but so far they are thriving. The background plant with the bright yellow green leaves is Sunshine Ligustrum. I really like this plant a lot, it gives so much depth to the garden and is really super easy care. Just give it some water once in a while and it grows like a weed.

I fenced off an area under some pine and oak trees to make a shade garden. So far I have Autumn Fern, a couple hydrangeas and coleus growing there. I planted a crape myrtle which will shade some areas of it in late afternoon. I fenced it to keep my doggie out since he feels the entire backyard is his to fertilize, NOT.
This picture was taken from the top of the steps leading down in to the yard. I hope to plant some shrubs along that side fence to gain some privacy from our neighbors yard.


The fence was easy to put up, I got it from Home Depot, you just pound a stake in the ground, thread a post through the fencing and into the stake, easy plus I got it on sale. It's really sturdy too. If you're interested this is what I used.

Hampton Bay Empire Black Steel Fencing

I plan to expand it to encircle all the trees eventually. I love shade plants and especially hydrangeas so hopefully I get a little better with taking care of them.

Hope it's cooler where you are and if you have any hydrangea tips for me I would surely appreciate if you left them in the comments.
Toby says hello and he thanks all of you for your well wishes and prayers!


Blessings, Teresa


20 comments:

  1. Hi Teresa,
    Your crape myrtles are beautiful. I love when they bloom. Everything is looking so pretty.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris, I really love the crapes too, I hated having to remove two of them but they were so bunched together that it wasn't healthy. I'm slowly working towards my goal of transforming the front and backyards, it's a process.

      Delete
  2. Good morning! You have the same problem I have here in Florida! I also have to avoid the neighbors, we like to talk, lol. Your yard is looking beautiful! My favorite is hydrangeas. Drink lots of water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha re: the neighbors. Mine actually aren't out back much, a young police officer and his wife and newborn baby live there. It's their dog I need privacy from hahaha. Every time I step foot in my backyard it's like he is seeing me for the first time and barks his doggie head off, ugh. I'm taking your advice, lots of water!

      Delete
  3. Hi Teresa. This is Patty. I can't comment with any of the "profiles" it asks us to choose from when we post a comment. So, I have to choose Anonymous. That's why I announced myself..... I know that the soil in Texas is not perfect for hydrangeas, but East Texas is better than where I'm at. Have you looked into some sort of soil additive ? I can never remember if they like acid or alkaline. Steve's aunt and uncle in Mississippi had a gorgeous old hydrangea in front of their 100-year-old home. Wish they would do well here. We have about 30 crepe myrtle trees here. Steve and I met when we both worked at a large wholesale nursery 37 years ago. When we moved here Steve got crepes that they were throwing away because they weren't good enough to sell to the box stores. Now they are gorgeous balls of pink every summer! Hope you got my card. Hugs to Toby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty, I don't know why you can't use your profiles, weird isn't it? I think the hydrangeas like acid, I threw some pine needles around them thinking that may help. I love crape myrtles too, I just bought some online, they are mere sticks at this point but I think they grow fairly quickly. I am going to the post office today to get my mail, haven't been in a few days, I'll let you know if the card is there and thank you in advance. Hugs to you and hubby.

      Delete
  4. Tell Toby hi! I know what you mean as I lived in East Texas for 6 years. I've found, however, that it's just as bad in Tulsa, OK! I had crepe myrtles there too and they were quite large and beautiful. Where you live, the spot looks so pretty and peaceful.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Brenda, you wouldn't believe how peaceful it is here, the only sound is birds chirping, it's magical. We had more property in Alabama but I heard cars, boom music and the occasional gunshot, yikes.Mostly older retired people live around here, very quiet and everyone takes pride in their property. We really couldn't have moved to a better location. I'll pass the greetings on to Toby, take care!

      Delete
  5. hi from NE ohio, where it's being a lot like hot texas this week. thanks for your very enjoyable, informative post, especially about the hydrangeas and your fencing. rabbits are really terrible this year, so i'm working on some ideas to keep them out of the perennials next year. they mostly bother the tall phlox, woodland phlox and summer anemones. interesting experience with my hydrangeas this year: one of them, an endless summer variety, has been in the ground at least five years, and has had either one bloom, usually in the same place on the plant, or no bloom. this year, i'm at 29 blooms and counting, i guess, as two new ones started coming on last week. only thing different this year was the unusually mild winter (it snowed only once, for example), so i guess that must have been it. --suz in ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Suz it seems those hydrangea's are temperamental little devils! That's very strange about your endless summer. I don't have any rabbits eating my plants but I do have deer, so I know how you feel So happy you stopped by, have a great day!

      Delete
  6. Yes, I'm melting in our Texas heat too. Humidity makes a huge difference. Mornings are the time to work in the yard!
    Can't help you on hydrangeas, I have an oakleaf one in filtered shade that's happy but I think I've been lucky. I put my coffee grounds around it and dump leftover coffee on it. I guess it's working!
    Salvias, sages, lantanas, day lilies, iriises are some of the plants I use. They all thrive in the Texas heat and deer seem to leave them alone. Your yard is looking nice. Take it easy and plant those shrubs in the Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cecilia! I've heard that about coffee grounds and hydrangeas and always wondered if it worked. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip on heat happy plants too, I love all those you named. Yep I will definitely wait til fall to plant anything else!

      Delete
  7. I planted my first hydrangea last year, one that my aunt gave me, that rooted off of one that she 'stole' from the edge of a cemetery. It didn't bloom yet, but it sure has been pretty. I have it next to a fence, hoping it will get the shade it needs. Your pics are so pretty. I've always loved crape myrtles too. That fence looks pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one that I think is called Nikko Blue, it had lots of healthy leaves but no blooms so far. The Incrediball were so pretty when I first planted them but have gone downhill ever since, ugh.

      Delete

And you lovely people said.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...